Posted on 02-24-2017
Chocolate is No Sweet Treat! Our Los Angeles Veterinarian Warns about These 5 Common Household Poisons
The holiday season is a time to enjoy being with your loved one and it starts with Valentine’s Day and all the chocolate given out by sweethearts. The challenge with the upcoming season is protecting your pets from accidental poisoning through common household items. By understanding the household poisons for your pets, you can determine when to visit your Los Angeles veterinarian after a pet eats a poisonous substance.
Chocolate and Other Human Foods
As a general rule, do not feed your pets any human foods unless a veterinarian approves the food. Many foods, like chocolate, raw onions and garlic, grapes and raisins, and sugarless foods containing Xylitol can be toxic to animals.
Medications may poison a pet dog or cat. Most human, and even pet, medications are poisonous when taken in a high dose. Do not allow your pet to access any prescription or over-the-counter medications and only give your pets an approved dosage of medicine when necessary and recommended by a veterinarian.
An insecticide is a poison designed to kill insects, so it is not surprising that it may harm or kill your pets. Since a pet may ingest the poison by licking an area of the floor with the poison or by eating poisoned insects, it may cause harm. It is particularly risky for smaller pets who may show signs of poisoning with small amounts of exposure.
Certain indoor plants, like tulips, sago palm, some ferns, lilies, Crocus, dieffenbachia, and Oleander are dangerous to your pets. Do not put up indoor plants without discussing the risks and health concerns with a veterinarian.
Household cleaners, like bleach or floor cleaning products, are dangerous when ingested. Limit pet exposure by keeping cleaners in a safe location and preventing pets from access to rooms while you clean.
When to Call a Los Angeles Veterinarian about Pets and Household Poisons
Seek help from a Los Angeles veterinarian at any time you think a pet may be poisoned. Never wait when you suspect accidental poisoning from household items.
Protecting your pet starts with effective management of their health and well-being. Call (310) 734-0176 for more information.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.